Alex Banzhaf is a partner at Tuttle Yick LLP and helps lead its commercial litigation practice.
Alex started litigating multi-million-dollar cases the day he was admitted to practice and has not stopped since. He has been involved in dozens of state and federal actions involving a wide range of industries. Alex brings this experience to Tuttle Yick clients and counsels them on critical litigation decisions: when to attack, when to defend and when to think creatively to implement a non-traditional solution.
Alex represents plaintiffs and defendants in business and personal disputes in a wide variety of legal areas, including real estate, business disputes, M&A, partnership disputes, fraud and RICO claims, class action defense, insurance coverage, employment discrimination and executive compensation, professional liability and antitrust. Alex also advises on regulatory matters in the insurance and cannabis industries. Alex represents clients in state and federal courts in New York and New Jersey, as well as in American and Bermudan arbitration forums. Some of Alex’s experience includes:
- Successfully dismissed $20 million liquidated damages claim against commercial tenant client in New York county;
- Successfully defeated emergency appeal filed against real estate client in Kings County to preserve $15 million of client assets;
- Extracted a favorable settlement for clients sued in a $115 million M&A fraud claim in Delaware Chancery Court;
- Successfully obtained summary judgment in a partnership dispute arbitration that prevented rogue minority shareholders from imposing an unnecessary and disruptive audit on multiple company entities;
- Multiple successful motions to dismiss, motions for summary judgment and appeals defended on behalf of employer clients in statutory employment discrimination matters in the SDNY, EDNY, Second Circuit and New Jersey Superior Court; and
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of large insurer client in New Jersey Superior Court in a major challenge to the insurer’s claims practices.
Alex also provides sophisticated counsel on insurance coverage issues. Insurance is a business reality and, if approached incorrectly, can be a major hassle for policyholders. Alex has counseled multiple major insurers with respect to coverage decisions, and knows how to deal with carriers to obtain good results for policyholders that minimize headaches.
Alex also leads the firm’s New Jersey law practice. Alex formerly practiced with a well-regarded mid-size firm in New Jersey and has litigated matters in every county and federal vicinage in New Jersey. He is also a Barrister in the New Jersey chapter of the Lifland Inn of Court.
Alex has been a Super Lawyers “Rising Star” since 2020. He has also been Best Lawyers “Ones to Watch” since 2021 in the areas of Commercial Litigation and Labor and Employment. Alex graduated from Duke University in 2010 and obtained his J.D. from the Chicago-Kent College of Law in 2013 where he was on the Law Review.